Prevent data loss as mobile apps become business-critical and widely adopted.
MobileIron AppConnect MobileIron AppTunnel
- Secure mobile app lifecycle
- Protect app data-at-rest without touching personal data
- Protect app data-in-motion without VPN
- Protect privacy thru data separation
- Configure apps silently and update policies dynamically without user action
- Support both SDK and wrapping methods for app containerization
- Support both iOS and Android
- Support both in-house and public apps
Contact mobileUbiquity for the answers
Delivers Mobile App Wrapping, App SDK, and App Tunneling To Secure Data-at-Rest and Data-in-Motion
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 6, 2012
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Companies are moving their core business operations to mobile apps. App developers are at the center of this transformation and must deliver great apps quickly while ensuring that business data remains secure. Many of the apps they build, however, will run on employee-owned devices, and, as a result, clear separation between business and personal data is essential. To address this challenge, MobileIron today introduced the first complete mobile app persona for the enterprise. MobileIron customers can now secure data-at-rest and data-in-motion for business apps while preserving the native experience their users demand.
Watch the video on YouTube: https://info.mobileiron.com/mobileironapplications.html
An enterprise app persona includes all the apps and data used for business on a mobile device. It is associated with a specific user, based on that user’s identity, and managed through policy. A complete approach to enterprise app persona delivers the ability to:
- Secure both app data-at-rest and data-in-motion
- Support major app operating systems, including iOS and Android
- Secure both internal and third-party apps
- Provide containerization through both an app wrapper and a software development kit (SDK)
MobileIron is launching two new products for establishing and securing an enterprise app persona. The first product is MobileIron AppConnect, which containerizes apps to protect app data-at-rest without touching personal data. This populates the enterprise app persona. The second product is MobileIron AppTunnel, which provides tunneling and access control to protect app data-in-motion without requiring VPN. This allows apps in the enterprise app persona to securely connect to data stores behind the firewall.
“Mobile apps are exploding across our customer base. App developers must move fast and innovate but still secure business app data and app traffic,” said Bob Tinker, CEO, MobileIron. “Until now, these app developers had to trade off user experience against security. They no longer have to make that compromise. MobileIron AppConnect and AppTunnel make security painless for the developer, simple for Mobile IT, and invisible to the user. The enterprise app persona is the latest in a string of MobileIron app innovations, dating to the first enterprise app storefront in 2009, that have helped our customers make mobile apps a central part of their business operations.”
AppConnect transforms an iOS or Android app into a secure container with clear data separation and protection from unauthorized access. Because each user will have multiple business apps, each app container is also connected to other app containers to allow the secure sharing of data, like documents, and of policies, like app single sign-on. All app containers are connected to MobileIron for central policy management. Any app can leverage AppConnect through an easy-to-use app wrapper or a simple SDK. App wrapping minimizes developer time and secures apps post-development. The SDK can be used at any time during the development process.
AppTunnel provides granular, app-by-app session security to connect each app container to the corporate network through a secure tunnel. Mobile apps can now use AppTunnel to access back-end enterprise data without opening a full VPN connection or altering perimeter network security settings. AppTunnel uses the proven MobileIron Sentry intelligent gateway, which is already installed at thousands of enterprises.
With MobileIron AppConnect and AppTunnel, organizations can now implement:
- Authentication: Confirm user identity through domain username and password or certificates
- Single sign-on: Enforce time-based app-level sign-on across secured app containers
- Authorization: Allow or block app usage or data storage based on device or user risk
- Configuration: Silently configure personalized settings such as user name, server name, and custom attributes without requiring user intervention
- Encryption: Ensure that all app data stored on the device is encrypted
- DLP controls: Set data loss prevention (DLP) policies, e.g., copy/paste, print, and open-in permissions, so unauthorized apps cannot access secure data
- Dynamic policy: Update app policies dynamically
- Reporting: Provide app usage statistics
- Selective wipe: Remotely wipe app data without touching personal data
Protecting employee privacy
The value of the enterprise app persona to the employee is that it protects privacy. Privacy is a top concern in mobile deployments because most employees use their mobile devices for both personal and business purposes, regardless of who owns the device. They want to do their work while mobile, but they don’t want to put their personal data at risk. Employee adoption of mobile initiatives depends on the credible and clear separation of business app data into an enterprise app persona that can be managed separately by the Mobile IT team. MobileIron AppConnect containers prevent all unauthorized access to business data, so IT only has to manage the container and does not need any visibility into the rest of the data on the device. This preserves user privacy, drives user adoption, and protects the organization.
Sharing mobile devices across multiple users with personalised settings and data
MobileIron multi-user capability
• Deploy shared devices at scale
• Support fast switching between users
• Provide continuous security during and between use
• Push user-specific settings for apps, email, connectivity, and other policies, while retaining shared settings
• Minimize helpdesk requests
• Support iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
The largest companies in the world trust MobileIron® as their foundation for Mobile IT. Available as a highly-scalable on-premise or cloud solution, MobileIron was purpose-built to secure and manage mobile apps, documents, and devices. MobileIron was the first to deliver key innovations such as multi-OS mobile device management (MDM), mobile application management (MAM), and BYOD privacy.
MobileIron’s multi-user capability is a recent innovation that allows organizations across industries to deploy iOS devices for use by multiple individuals:
- Education: iPads are becoming the new standard of computing in the classroom. New curricula rely on each student having tablet access to learn, review, and test. Fast switching between students is essential because one device can be used by many students during the course of just one day.
- Healthcare: Mobile is improving patient care and operational efficiency. In hospitals and clinics, multiple medical professionals will use the same device. Because of the sensitivity of healthcare data, the device must always remain under management with enforced security policies even between users.
- Retail: Mobile apps are changing point-of-sales and logistics processes for retailers. These apps generally run on corporate-owned devices shared by multiple end users. Because turnover across the employee base can be quite high, multi-user capabilities must be easy to use and require minimal training.
- Hospitality: Mobile is taking paper out of the property management process.Connectivity settings are usually shared across shift-based users, but apps and email settings are user-specific. Both need to be managed seamlessly.
Speed, security, and personalization are the core requirements for a scalable multi-user mobile deployment. Traditional approaches that un-enroll and re-enroll the entire device, instead of just the user, are slow, not secure, and complex to troubleshoot. The MobileIron approach is fast, secure, and simple for the user and is part of the MobileIron Advanced Management and Connected Cloud solutions.
Want to find out more contact mobileUbiquity